Elder Benjamin Larson



Monday, August 22, 2011

I'm finaly in the Phillippines!!


Hey mom!!!

So I made it here OK, I don't know if the pres e-mailed you or not, so I hope your not worried, we made it without any problem at all. except that when we stepped off the plane it was SO HOT, and I felt like it just gets hotter, but I know its just hot and constant hot. Ha it is weird in the humidity, it is so humid!! And the hairs on my legs and arms I feel like are curling, and then I have a few hairs on my front head that are curling a little, but they are really short so I think that might be part of it. But yeah so to get to the point, It is HOTTER than anything I have ever felt! I am always sticky/ sweaty. but it's OK, because I am enjoying it here and I am adjusting.

The people here always stare at me, because there are never Americans here, so they all think it is cool to see me, but it really isn't. The transportation here is cool, Jeep-Nees are really cool, they look like old school war jeeps, except they are really long like a small limo and they are all painted cool. also there are Trikes, which are motor cycles with a side car, also taxi's but those aren't that cool.

It is good here, my companion is elder Samson, he is a native, and I am blessed a lot to have him! He helps me a lot with the language, and the culture stuff and makes sure I am safe all the time! Ha he always tells people, " May tanong po siya" which means, He has a question for me, and then he taught me to ask, " Guwapo ba ako?" which means am I handsome? Ha it is funny. Then everyone laughs and he says, " Pero, Mas guwapong ako." which is but I am more handsome. haha he is very funny! and it is really important to him to be guwapo, ha I always tell him he is.

I don't understand very much of Tagalog, but I am trying. And I learn at least one thing everyday, probably more, but I don't realize it! So my P-day is on Monday, but Sunday for you, ha, I think. just so you know. and i can't find my cord for my camera to put pictures on the e-mail so I will find it and send it next week. sorry.

It has rained quite a bit, not too bad though. On Friday I think it was, it rained up to past my ankle, so a lot. But I guess last year or a few months ago, it rained up to the roof, so higher than people, and some people died, so it is sad, and a lot was destroyed but the people help eachother and are happy still.

It is so crazy here, because there is nothing, people live out of their homes, they sell food and stuff, and then they live in there store/homes. There houses are made of cement or just dirt floor, and then sheet metal for the roof, and then whatever wood they can get or whatever else they can get for the rest. but they are good builders so they know what they are doing. It is so crazy, we have so much at our home in Utah, so much and I feel like I have taken it all for granted. we see on commercials there, about kids in Africa who have nothing or other third world countries who have nothing, and I just kind of brushed it off, but now i am in a third world country, and so many people have close to nothing!! But the great thing is, they are still so happy!!! I don't know that i have seen a happier people! And they love basketball by the way so that is cool too.

There are some rich places here though, the first councilor in the bishopric here is pretty rich and he lives in a great neighborhood, only if you have a special access can you get in the neighborhood, or if someone inside invites you.

So something cool that happened, this week was me and elder samson were visiting people in the ward and some new or less active members and some investigators. one investigator, Jomel, he is 17, we visited him and gave a lesson and talked about his baptism, which is this Saturday, and talked to him about the interviews and stuff that needed to happen on Sunday, yesterday, and stuff then my companion who speaks Tagalog because he is native, asked who he wanted to baptize him, and he said ME! I was way surprised, I hope it's not because I am American, because I think that's dumb, but I am excited to do it. So I will send you some pictures later.

My companion says I am a miracle to these people and to the ward because I am American and now people will listen more and come to church more, but one thing I think he and they don't realize, is that that's not enough! It can't just be me! They need the spirit they need god and Jesus Christ and his atonement. I hope I can help the people realize that I am nobody, but who they really need is Christ and the holy ghost, and they need this gospel so they can have fullness!!

Yeah so that is my life here. OH also, I had Balut, the duck egg. It was pretty good, basically, it's a baby duck that didn't hatch, so when you crack it open, you are staring at a baby duck. ha it was so weird to look at and know what it was, but then I ate it and it was actually pretty good. It kinda tasted like a boiled egg. only a little different. plus i think there was a feather in it, ha but it was good, and they all said, it will make me Malakas, (strong) ha. there are four of us in our apartment, two are Filipino and one is Hawaiian, but everyone here thinks he is Filipino haha,

I am doing good here so don't worry, I am healthy and strong and I don't even have jet lag, really, I am tired at the end of the day, but i think its just cause we are working so hard, so I take that as a good sign of success!! The language is the biggest thing right now, although I am surprised that a lot of people understand some English, but they still speak Tagalog daily they are more comfortable with it, and I try to speak it back as best I can, and I think for the most part they understand me! I bore my testimony on Sunday because i am the new missionary in the area, so every new area i will have to bare my testimony, In Tagalog, which i did yesterday, but it was like a child's testimony, but that's OK cause i am learning.

I love you so much!!! And I want you to know that I am doing well and I will be OK, My companion is native and knows where to go to buy good clean food, and we keep eachother safe, so also the lord is watching us, we are his missionaries, and as long as we do our job and meet his standards, than he will help us and protect us!

I love you so so so much! I want you to know that!

And Jess I want you to know that I look up to you too, and I am so blessed to have you in my life and have you as my sister. Ha I show everyone your picture and everyone always says your so beautiful! You are so beautiful and so amazing, and I am bless to have you and your great example in my life! I think about you and mom a lot, but not too, much. I just tell everyone about you and they love hearing about you, my family at home!

I love you both, remember that always, and remember that the lord loves you, and you are his children no matter how old you get, or how lost you feel, whenever you feel lost or alone, remember that you are God's child, and he created you and sent you here, BECAUSE he love you!! And he is proud of you! HE has Faith in you, just like you have faith in him. I read that in a scripture a while back but i don't remember where it was, I think 1 cor 10 13 or something. Just know that you are loved!

I love and miss you both so much!!! Be good and safe, and know that I am doing the same!

Love you son and little Brother, Elder Benjamin L, Larson!!

No comments:

Post a Comment