Elder Benjamin Larson



Thursday, September 8, 2011

An 78 old lady kissed my shoulder

Dear Mom,

Things are going good here in the philippines, it's still hot, but it has been raining a lot so that helps a little bit. My fourth day here I think the rain was up to passed my ankles, so my shoes were so wet, I bought some rubber ones for like three dollars after that they work great in the rain!

So I tried to attatch some pictures here, I hope you get them, they are just of things I want to show you, one is of our bathroom in our apartment, another is a family, they are somewhat active, they sometimes don't come to church because their mom has to work and she doesn't want them traveling alone. I baptized this young man on saturday the 27 I think, His name is Jomel, he is 18 and when he asked me to baptize him i was surprised cause i barely know him, but he has a great spirit and I think if he chooses to, he will be a great missionary. The Car bus thing is called a Jeep-Nee, we ride in these a lot, when you want a ride you just shout, Para po, and wave your hand, and if you want to stop you say, para po again, ha it fun. I have been in one with more than twenty five people I think, people just pile in, and some people stand on the back and hold on if there is no room, don' t worry, I never do that!

The motor cycle thing is called a Tryc, and those are fun too, same thing to get them to stop, para po, ha and I have been in one of those, with 7 people riding in it, they know how to fit people in those things, don't worry it is safe, I didn't send any pictures of the Balut cause I wasn't sure if you would want to see it, but i have pictures. Just tell me if you want some. ha

So we had the baptism of Jomel on saturday and i had the great privlage to baptize him. It was great, the water was cold, and a little green cause it was sitting in there when we got to the church, but we couldn't find out how to drain it so we just left it there. So like i said, the water was cold, but then it wasn't at the same time, cause what was taking place was so amazing we didn't even notice it. It was a great experience to baptize this young man, he has a great spirit even though we don't understand what eachother is saying very well, we understand each others spirit, and that is truly amazing.

We are teaching on couple, the Edanyo's, they are a great couple, so hospitipal, they always give us snacks when we visit, sometimes I feel bad cause they don't have a lot and I don't want to take anything from them, but it would be rude to turn down their generosity, so I always except with a huge, salamat po, and a smile! Well the story with them is that they are not married, but they can't get married cause she doesn't have a birth certificate, it was lost and it is really hard to find something like that, especially here! Well so we are trying to help her with that, we go with her to the city building place and try to get it, they keep saying it's coming but it doesn't seem like it ha, we mostly try to be her suport and help her get through it and stay strong.

The language is hard, I don't understand or speak a lot, but when I do speak I do my best to listen to the spirit and say what the lord would have me share, I have taught one lesson, the restoration, most of it, in tagalog, it was hard, and simple, and my companion elder samson had to clearify a lot of things, but I feel like it was good. Then I challenged the investigator, J.R to baptism, and he accapted, except he is basically a member, he has been going to church for like 2 years, knows everything and apparently was baptized but his records are lost, but I need the practice so he is a blessing to me! ha p.s I didn't know he was so active in the church when I challenged him to baptism, until after the lesson, and I was all excited then my comp told me he is basically a member, haha fun stuff.

So I am doing good, I hope you and jess are doing good, ha i am glad she has Michelle. ha one more story,

So me and elder samson were finding people, trackting basically, and we started talking to this one lady who seemed a little interested outside her house, I was trying to listen and see if I coudl understand and then out of no where, this old toothless lady comes up to me, and starts begging at me. She was saying it was here birthday and wanted money from me cause i am a "rich american" ha I told her wala, I have none, and then she said, ok ok, and then she started pulling on my shoulder trying to make me shorter so she could kiss me, this old 78 year old lady with no teeth was trying to smooch me, scariest thing ever, I was just saying, I don't have anything go away, and then after about 2 minutes of that fun adventure she gave up, and kissed my shoulder instead. ha what a wierd story. that was on tuesday I believe, so 5 days in to my field mission.

Ha so I have a few good stories already, and I am pushing through the language, trying my best, I love you both so so much, I hope you enjoy the pictures!!! Oh yeah my area is in the city of Pasig city. so Maybe you can find it on a map, ha.

I love you and miss you, and pray for you, in tagalog as best I can, ha,

Love your son and brother,

Elder Benjamin Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment