Elder Benjamin Larson



Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy New year from Tampa

This Christmas/ new years was a funny one. On new years eve the Whites invited us over for dinner and they told us to meet us at another members house. So we go and actually we ended up crashing a wedding reception of someone in the ward. it was really nice to see everyone that I didn't know and i had no idea who got hitched. But despite the situation the lord provided us someone to talk to. we sat down with our new years dinner next to a couple who were nonmembers. They were so nice and we had a good discussion about what we did. We didn't get their information but we planted a good seed there. The next funny thing was that it actually got cold that night and I didn't bring a jacket. If I am having a hard time with this I wonder how I am going to be back in Utah. ahhh! But it is going to be ok. That night we were supposed to be indoors by 8pm so we got home and broke out the tim tams and did tim tam slams. it was very delicious. And to top off the night we watched The Testaments.

This week we saw Mia and are trying to help her be happy and trust in god that he will take care of her. That seems to be the doctrine that everyone forgets these days. We get so caught up in ourselves and what is wrong with me and why me. but really we just need to be grateful about what we do have, who we are, and where we are in this life of changing and progressing. I noticed that I myself was caught in that trap, thinking that I was not good enough to get better and I can never become a better missionary. but that is a cold blooded lie from that evil one Satan. what a jerk. but even with his whisperings we don't have to be miserable and unchanging. That is exactly why Jesus suffered and died. It was for us so we can become clean and pure and live with god again. Mia will catch the vision soon, pray for her and her kids, Eden, Hyrum, Jamiles.

There has been one reoccurring lesson that I have learned this year. I was reading a talk titled " the 4th missionary" and it talks about the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th types of missionaries. The 1st isn't a good missionary, he does what he wants whatever it is whenever, and is eventually sent home. The 2nd stays out his whole mission but is disobedient to the rules and doesn't get much accomplished and is a heavy burden on the mission President and whoever he serves with. The 3rd is a great obedient missionary who is very successful in bringing souls to christ. but their is a difference between the 3rd and the 4th missionary, the 3rd is not bennefitted from all of his 2 years of service. I was surprised and thought why? In D&C 4 it says if ye serve him with all your heart, Might, mind and strength ye shall be blameless at the last day. the 3rd missionary doesn't give the lord his heart or his mind. while he is still doing what the lord wants he is still fighting within himself wanting to do what he wants secretly. It is a slight difference that make all the work we missionaries do worth it not only for the people we serve but we are also befitted. If we give all of our selves to the lord those christ like attributes with become us. That blew me away. And I may not be the 4th missionary but I am striving everyday to give myself up to the lord.
I love all of you and pray that we all become what the lord intends for us to become. Take care.

[Elder Spencer Larson]

No comments:

Post a Comment